Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 14

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 20

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 114

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 115

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 120

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 123

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 168

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 171

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 206

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 209

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 227

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 242

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 249

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 252

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 272

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/header.php on line 275
New Age | Newspaper
HOME  METRO

Workshop on gender equality held in Ctg

Admin

CU Correspondent

The speakers at a workshop on Monday in the Chittagong city called on the women public representatives to work with the masses to end gender discrimination.

The divisional workshop titled ‘important gender equality issues’ was organised by non-governmental organisation Young Power in Social Action at the district council auditorium in the morning.

‘Our society lacks the values that treat women with respect. For that we first need to learn the values that men and women have the equal rights in the society,’ said Ehsan Elahi, additional district commissioner (combined) in his address as the chief guest.

Naznin Pappu, coordinator of gender and governance of SMILING, an associate NGO of YPSA, presented the keynote paper containing a summary of the women’s present situation in the country.

Informing that around 69 per cent of the country’s education budget is spent on the male children against the rest 31 per cent on the females, the keynote paper called the government to immediately address the existing disparities in the education sector.

Also as a signatory to the 1979 Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women, Bangladesh needs to be much more responsive to women’s causes, the paper said.

The speakers also urged the government to fully ratify the CEDAW. 

Khaleda Begum, coordinator of YPSA city branch, moderated the programme, attended by district administration officials, social workers and NGO staff.



Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/right.php on line 4

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/newage/public_html/newspaper1/right.php on line 5
    Monday, October 24, 2011

Archives

Select MonthYear

July 2014

SunMonTueWedThuFri Sat
0102030405
06070809101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031