• S. Korea orders probe after 10 students killed by roof collapse
  • Dozens arrested as Thai police raid protest site
  • Old Dhaka flat looted blasting bombs
  • 'Halal holidays' for Muslims in Malaysia
  • Court accepts murder charges against 7 NSU students
  • Retailers launch Bangladesh factory inspection
  • RAB arrested one in Tangail on 'Al-Qaeda link'
  • HC summons IO of Sagar-Runi murder case
  • UZ polls: Chairman candidate’s camp office torched in Satkhira
  • India commutes death sentence for Rajiv Gandhi killers
  • Indian police kill seven Maoist rebels
  • EU, US reps meet ahead of free-trade talks
  • Mobile court awards 2 BNP men jail for distributing leaflets in Khagrachhari
  • Ties with Muslim countries to get utmost importance: PM
  • Father killed by Quasem’s Al-Badr men: Witness
  • Newspaper sector declared an industry
  • BNP writes it allegation to EC
  • SC clears ways for ex-army chief’s trial in defamation case
  • Bangladeshi TV boss jailed over crash-for-cash scam
  • BCL leader murdered in Narsingdi
  • Voting in 97 upazilas Wednesday in first phase
Print Friendly and PDF

Jeweller left unconscious six days after abduction

Our Correspondents . Chittagong and Comilla

The police rescued a jeweller from Comilla on Monday, six days after he was abducted by unknown people from Chittagong.
The Jeweller, Mridul Chowdhury, 58, was found in an unconscious state with his hands tied round his back at Kangshanagar Bazar under Burichang upazila of Comilla early Monday.
Mridul was abducted from Hazari Lane area of Chittagong on February 11.
Chittagong Jewellery Shop Owner Association called off the strike it had announced for today following the rescue.
Mridul’s family alleged that six or seven people had picked him up identifying themselves as Rapid Action Battalion personnel.
His  brother Shimul Chowdhury said that a group of people, identifying themselves as RAB personnel, had forcibly taken Mridul on a microbus while he was going to his shop in Chittagong New Market on February 11.
However, RAB officials said they did not conduct any operation there at that time.
RAB-7 deputy director Nazmul Haque denied the battalion personnel had involvement in the incident.
Debpur police outpost officer-in-charge Debashish Sarkar said that they had rescued Mridul on information provided by a night guard, Harunur Rashid.
Harun said that he had found Mridul unconscious with his hands tied behind and informed the police.
His body bore marks of torture and he was taken to Chittagong and admitted to a private hospital on OR Nizam road where he regained consciousness.
Mridul’s cousin Titu Bonik quoted Mridul as saying that some miscreants had abandoned him in Kangshanagar area of Burichang early in the morning.
Mridul said he could only remember that he was shifted three times blindfolded during the six days in captivity and he could not recognise the places he had been taken to.
The hospital doctor Polash Biswas said that the patient had marks of injury on his knees,  feet and buttocks.
Mridul, owner of Dulhan Jwellers at Chittagong New Market, was abducted after he filed a case against three persons – Major Raqibul Amin of RAB -2, RAB informant Fahad Chowdhury and car driver Babul Paal – over looting of 8.8 kilograms of gold, alleged his family and local jewellers.

Reader’s Comment

comments powered by Disqus

10 months on, charges yet to be pressed

Nearly 10 months have passed since the country witnessed its worst factory disaster in April 2013, but the police investigators are yet to submit charge sheets of the two cases related to the Rana Plaza building collapse in Savar in which... Full story

Govt asked to explain delay

The High Court on Monday asked the government to explain in two weeks why the Bengali Language Introduction Act 1987 would not be implemented immediately in all its offices and courts. In an interim order, the court... Full story

Many lawmakers, ministers found irregular in JS

Prime minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday expressed her annoyance at the cabinet members and Awami League lawmakers for not attending the parliament session on a regular basis. Presiding over the weekly cabinet meeting... Full story

Jeweller left unconscious six days after abduction

The police rescued a jeweller from Comilla on Monday, six days after he was abducted by unknown people from Chittagong. The Jeweller, Mridul Chowdhury, 58, was found in an unconscious state with his hands tied round his... Full story

AL using ‘Zawahiri video’ to malign BNP: Fakhrul

Bangladesh Nationalist Party termed ‘false, illogical and ridiculous’ the ruling party’s claim that BNP had links with the ‘so-called’ video statement of al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri. The BNP said the allegation was made at a time... Full story

Couple ‘stoned to death’ in southwest Pakistan

A tribal couple in southwest Pakistan have been stoned to death allegedly on the orders of a local cleric after being accused of having an extramarital affair, local officials said on Monday. Eight people have been arrested, including... Full story

97 UZs go to polls tomorrow

Aspirants spent a hectic day wooing voters in 97 upazilas in 40 districts as the electioneering ended on Monday midnight in the first phase of the local government polls set for tomorrow. In the first phase of the staggered local elections, 102 upazilas were set to go to... Full story

Iran threatens to send forces into Pak territory

Iran said on Monday it would send forces into Pakistan to free five border guards said to have been kidnapped by militants if Islamabad did not take measures to secure their release. According to Iranian media reports, the... Full story
  • Online Poll

    Do you think that the government has successfully brought back normalcy in public life after the January 5 elections?

    • Yes
    • No
    • No comment
    Ajax Loader