• 14 killed in China mosque stampede
  • Arctic blast takes aim at frigid US
  • 48-hr hartal progressing peacefully
  • 65 petrol bombs, nine crude bombs recovered, two held in Dhaka
  • Ruling AL defiant after vote, bloodshed
  • Afghanistan says 88 prisoners to be freed, despite U.S. concern
  • No further dialogue with AL: Tarique
  • Leave Jamaat, come to peaceful discussion, PM tells Khaleda
  • Three killed in post-election violence in Dohar
  • Act in line with people’s interests: UK to all parties
  • ‘Khaleda not under house-arrest’
  • Scrap farcical polls, reach deal: Khaleda
HOME  SPORTS
  
Print Friendly and PDF

NCL shelved once again

BCL back on BCB agenda

Staff Correspondent

The Bangladesh Cricket Board took a new initiative of starting the franchise-based first-class competition as it is unable to hold the National Cricket League in this political situation.
The NCL, country’s lone first-class competition until last year, was scheduled to start on January 8, but the BCB insiders said they cannot provide logistical support to eight teams together in the present circumstances. 
As the NCL is being delayed, the BCB said it would now try to convince the BCL franchises to play the tournament which was scheduled to be held later.  
The BCB launched the BCL last year with top 80 players from the NCL.  The BCB had hoped it would encourage the players to perform well in the NCL, which carries little incentives otherwise.
However, the BCB is keen to begin it now before the NCL as there are no other cricketing activities ahead of the forthcoming home Test series against Sri Lanka. 
The BCB had taken a similar initiative in December, but the franchises did not respond positively. Having been unable to convince the franchises, who were hit hard like many others by the political unrest, the BCB finally organised a Twenty20 competition.
‘We are hoping to start the BCL soon as there is no possibility of holding the NCL from January 8,’ Akram Khan, chairman of the BCB’s cricket operations committee, told New Age on Sunday.
‘We are more eager because of the forthcoming home series against Sri Lanka where we are going to play two Test matches,’ said Akram.
‘If we can hold at least two rounds of the BCL before the series it will immensely help the players in making preparations for the Test matches,’ he added.
Earlier, the franchises had refused to participate in the BCL as they were reluctant to travel from one venue to another because of security problems.
National chief selector Faruk Ahmed believes that this problem can be sorted out if the initial part of the tournament is held at BKSP as the teams won’t be required to travel in order to participate in it.
‘There are two grounds at the BKSP that are ready for playing while all four teams can easily stay at the BKSP hostel premises during the initial phase,’ said Faruk.
‘We need to play some longer-version cricket before the Test matches to get an ideal preparation,’ he said.
‘That will also help us choose ideal squads for the Test matches, ODIs and the T20s there are certain requirements for different formats,’ added the former national captain.
Faruk, who replaced Akram Khan in the post, will began his second stint as the chief selector by announcing the team for Sri Lanka series.
The series will feature two Test matches along with two Twenty20 internationals and three one-day internationals.
The tournament committee of the BCB is expected to meet three BCL franchises – Walton, Islami Bank and Prime Bank – in this regard today. 




Reader’s Comment

comments powered by Disqus
   

NCL shelved once again

The Bangladesh Cricket Board took a new initiative of starting the franchise-based first-class competition as it is unable to hold the National Cricket League in this political situation. The NCL, country’s lone first-class... Full story

Sakib shines in Big Bash debut

Adelaide Strikers’ all-rounder Sakib al Hasan pulls out a scoop during the Big Bash match against Sydney Sixers at the Adelaide Oval on Sunday. — Internet photo
Ace all-rounder Sakib al Hasan made his bow at the Big Bash on Sunday and almost led Adelaide Strikers to a victory against Sydney Sixers at the Adelaide Oval. Sakib smashed 46 runs off 30 balls... Full story

‘Eternal’ Eusebio dies at 71

A file photo taken on November 4, 2011 shows Real Madrid’s Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo receiving the ‘Golden Boot 2011’ award from Eusebio (L) in Madrid. — AFP photo
Portuguese great Eusebio, top scorer at the 1966 World Cup, died on Sunday from a heart attack at the age of 71 with the small Iberian nation mourning him as an ‘eternal symbol’ of their football pride. The death of the charismatic... Full story

Australia make it 5-0

Australian players celebrate with the Ashes urn after their 5-0 series win over England at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday.— AFP photo
Australia completed a 5-0 Ashes clean sweep against England on Sunday as the tourists crumbled against a formidable pace attack to go down to a humiliating 281-run defeat in the fifth Test. Mitchell... Full story

Hewitt stuns Federer in Brisbane final

Lleyton Hewitt of Australia kisses the trophy after defeating Roger Federer of Switzerland in the men’s final of the Brisbane International tournament on Sunday. — AFP photo
Australia’s Lleyton Hewitt stunned top seed Roger Federer of Switzerland to win the Brisbane International on Sunday. Hewitt raced through the first set and then held off a comeback from the world... Full story

Johnson among the pace greats, says Clarke

Victorious skipper Michael Clarke rated Mitchell Johnson among the fast bowling greats after spearheading Australia to a 5-0 Ashes whitewash of England in Sydney on Sunday. The lethal left-arm paceman... Full story

Spurs too good for Paul-less Clippers

San Antonio took advantage of Los Angeles being without injured All-Star Chris Paul and comfortably beat the Clippers 116-92 in Saturday’s clash of NBA divisional leaders. The win moved the Spurs into equal... Full story

Gunners sink Spurs in Cup

Arsenal’s Santi Cazorla (R) scores his team’s first goal against Tottenham Hotspur during their FA Cup match at the Emirates stadium on Saturday. — Reuters photo
Premier League leaders Arsenal overcame fierce rivals Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 in the FA Cup third round on Saturday, while Aston Villa were dumped out by third-tier Sheffield United. Tottenham had won... Full story

Koke puts Atletico on top

Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke celebrates after scoring his team’s winning goal against Malaga during their La Liga match at the Rosaleda stadium on Saturday. — AFP photo
Atletico Madrid knocked Barcelona off the top of La Liga, for a day at least, as a second-half strike by Koke earned a 1-0 victory over a stubborn Malaga side on Saturday. With Barcelona not re-starting their season until Sunday after the... Full story

Bale back for Real

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has said that Gareth Bale is fit enough to feature in Madrid’s first match of 2014 when they host Celta Vigo today. Bale missed his side’s 3-2 win over Valencia before the two-week winter break and didn’t travel... Full story

Too many foreign coaches in England, says Mourinho

There are too many foreign coaches in the Premier League and British candidates should be given more opportunities, Chelsea’s Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho has said. ‘In this moment in the Premier League - and I’m speaking... Full story

Lewandowski completes Bayern switch

Polish striker Robert Lewandowski will leave Borussia Dortmund for German rivals Bayern Munich in the summer on a five-year deal, the European champions confirmed on Saturday. The 25-year-old has been at... Full story

Nadal clinches Qatar title

Spanish tennis legend Rafael Nadal bites the trophy after he defeated France’s Gael Monfils in the final of Qatar’s ExxonMobil Open in Doha on Sunday. — AFP photo
Rafael Nadal at last made a title-winning start to a year when he held off Gael Monfils 6-1, 6-7 (5/7), 6-2 to clinch the Qatar Open on Saturday. It was world number one Nadal’s 61st career title and took him to eighth on... Full story

SOCCERLINE

Zia 15th after round eight Bangladeshi GM Ziaur Rahman defeated England’s Wadsworth Matthew in the eighth round of the 89th Hastings International Chess Congress at Horntye Park in East Sussex, England on Saturday. Full story
  • Online Poll


    Do you think that the government has successfully brought back normalcy in public life after the January 5 elections?

    • Yes
    • No
    • No comment
    Ajax Loader