• Stephen J Rapp talks to Shafique Ahmed
  • Taranco extends tour, press briefing postponed
  • Dec 19 new deadline for bidding for Padma bridge: Minister
  • Family members asked to meet Quader by 8:00pm today
  • Faruk named new chief selector
  • Both parties met, agreed to continue dialogue, says Taranco
  • 35 injured in Jamaat-police clash in Rajshahi
  • ICT-1 irked by death of witness, asks for security
  • Lawyers meet Molla in jail
  • Doctors, staff clash in Mitford Hospital
  • World unites for Mandela memorial
  • Nuclear war to 'end civilization' with famine: study
  • Witness against Sayedee dies
  • 3 injured in oil tanker fire in Chittagong
  • Quader Molla to hang after midnight
  • Empty election train to be halted: BNP
HOME  SPORTS
  
Print Friendly and PDF

BCB desperate for series revival

West Indies withdraw U-19 team citing security concerns

Staff Correspondent

A bellboy of Hotel Agrabad is seen loading the bags of the visiting West Indies Under-19 team in Chittagong on Monday. – New Age photo     A bellboy of Hotel Agrabad is seen loading the bags of the visiting West Indies Under-19 team in Chittagong on Monday. – New Age photo

The Bangladesh Cricket Board made a last-ditch attempt on Monday to salvage the Under-19 series against the touring West Indies side after the West Indies Cricket Board decided to pull out their team citing security fears.
The WICB’s decision, announced early on Monday, came as a body blow for the BCB, who had earlier thought they did enough to convince the visitors to continue the series after concerns were raised following a blast outside their team hotel.
The BCB had assured West Indies of an enhanced security measures and revised the itinerary of the seven-match series after the blast on the roof a pastry shop outside Hotel Agrabad in Chittagong on Saturday.
The WICB agreed in a statement that the players were not ‘targeted’ and ‘not in any immediate danger,’ helping the BCB heave a sigh of relief.  Sunday’s match was deferred by only a day means the BCB had reasons to feel the matter had ended there.
However, the BCB officials woke up on Monday with a new statement from the WICB, which confirmed the pull-out. 
 ‘The WICB’s decision [to withdraw the team] was taken following consideration of a report on the situation in Bangladesh as prepared by WICB security manager Paul Slowe,’ the statement said.
‘The report emphasised that the current security environment in Bangladesh is not conducive to the playing of cricket in light of the 72-hour nationwide blockade and calls for countrywide dawn-to-dusk protest,’ said the statement. 
‘Travel arrangements are being made to allow for the team’s return to the Caribbean as quickly as possible. The team will remain safely accommodated at the team hotel under adequate security protection until departure from Bangladesh.’
This is for the first time in the history of Bangladesh cricket that a visiting team have pulled out citing security reason, which left the BCB officials dumbstruck. Earlier only one cricket series was postponed in Bangladesh for security reasons but that had nothing to do with the visiting side.
In 2009, Bangladesh had cancelled a five-match one-day international series against Pakistan as they were unable to provide security to the visiting team in the wake of a deadly mutiny at country’s paramilitary force BDR headqurters.
The BCB officials were unsure about how to react to the WICB decision and the time difference between the two countries also left the officials handicapped.
BCB chief executive officer Nizamuddin Chowdhury said on Monday afternoon that he has already sent a letter to his West Indian counterpart and is waiting for his response.
‘We are trying to revive the series as the management of the touring party is convinced by our arrangement,’ Chowdhury told New Age. ‘We are confident that the things [political situation)] will be normal very soon and there is nothing to be really worried.’
The BCB did not receive any reply from the West Indies board when this report was filed, leaving the chance for them to be successful in reviving the series very slim.
Officials said if West Indies do not change their heart at the last moment, the visiting side could leave Dhaka today subject to the availability of air tickets.
BCB officials observed that the WICB was forced to take the decision following pressure from the guardians of the Under-19 boys who were scared amid reports of growing political violence in Bangladesh that left more than 70 people killed since late October.
‘No parents would want their children play cricket in a violent country. It does not matter who the target of this violence,’ said an official, preferring not to be named.  ‘We may be able to convince the West Indies board, but how can we convince these parents.’ 




Reader’s Comment

comments powered by Disqus
   

BCB desperate for series revival

A bellboy of Hotel Agrabad is seen loading the bags of the visiting West Indies Under-19 team in Chittagong on Monday. – New Age photo
The Bangladesh Cricket Board made a last-ditch attempt on Monday to salvage the Under-19 series against the touring West Indies side after the West Indies Cricket Board decided to pull out their team citing security fears. The WICB̢۪s... Full story

ICC asks BCB for security report

The International Cricket Council asked the Bangladesh Cricket Board to submit a report on the current situation in the country, BCB officials said on Monday. The request from cricket̢۪s governing body comes after the West... Full story

BCB fears the worst as WI pull out team

The Bangladesh Cricket Board warned that the political situation could threaten the future of cricket in Bangladesh after the West Indies Cricket Board on Monday decided to pull out their Under-19 side from ongoing tour due to security concerns. Full story

Australia on brink of Ashes redemption

A ruthless Australia rattled through England̢۪s final four wickets on Monday to complete an emphatic 218-run victory in the second Ashes Test and push the tourists to the brink of a humiliating series defeat. The crushing win at Adelaide Oval puts Australia 2-0... Full story

Jurgensen lauds Tamim̢۪s fitness

Bangladesh cricket team captain Mushfiqur Rahim leads a warm-up drill during the national camp at Mirpur on 
Monday.  — New Age photo
National cricket team coach Shane Jurgensen praised star opener Tamim Iqbal for his work on his fitness at the start of the Tigers̢۪ training camp ahead of their home series against Sri Lanka beginning in January. Full story

Vaughan fears 5-0 drubbing

England are heading for a 5-0 Ashes series drubbing in Australia unless they can recover mentally from two crushing defeats, former captain Michael Vaughan said on Monday. Australia won the second Test by 218 runs in Adelaide... Full story

Lakers lose in Kobe̢۪s return

Amir Johnson scored 32 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as the Toronto Raptors beat Los Angeles 106-94 despite the return of Kobe Bryant. Toronto guard DeMar DeRozan scored 26 points and had three steals and the Raptors... Full story

Siddik gets reception at Kurmitola

Bangladeshi golfer Siddikur Rahman met with chief of Army Staff and president of Kurmitola Golf Club General Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan to share his World Cup experience before a reception at the Kurmitola Golf Club on Monday. Full story

2014 World Cup as polluting as 560,000 cars

An image of Brazuca, the official 2014 World Cup soccer ball, is projected during a 3D presentation at its unveiling in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on December 3. The draw ceremony was televised live to more than 190 countries from the Atlantic beach resort of Costa do Sauipe. — AP photo
The World Cup may be great for planet football, but it isn̢۪t so good for planet Earth. FIFA says the 2014 tournament, which will require huge amounts of air travel to venues across Brazil, will produce the equivalent of 2.72 million metric tons... Full story

Last-gasp Everton hold Arsenal

The ball goes past Arsenal’s Polish goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny (L) and hits the side netting after a shot from Everton’s Spanish striker Gerard Deulofeu for a late equaliser during the English Premier League football match between Arsenal and Everton at The Emirates Stadium in north London on Sunday. — AFP photo
Premier League leaders Arsenal were left five points clear at the top of the Premier League after visitors Everton fought back to claim a 1-1 draw on Sunday. It seemed the Gunners were about to go seven points... Full story

Arsenal face Spurs in FA Cup third round

Premier League leaders Arsenal will face arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur in the pick of next month̢۪s FA Cup third round ties after the north London duo were drawn against one another on Sunday. Between them the clubs... Full story

It's now-or-never for CL last-16 hopefuls

Holders Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona are already through to the Champions League round of 16. Eight other places are up for grabs... Full story

SOCCERLINE

Ronaldo targets new goal record Cristiano Ronaldo can set a new record for goals scored in a Champions League group stage when already-qualified Real Madrid visit FC Copenhagen on Tuesday. The Portuguese has... Full story

Bayern̢۪s Guardiola targets perfect six

Coach Pep Guardiola has demanded holders Bayern Munich finish the Champions League̢۪s group phase with the perfect record of six wins by seeing off Manchester City at home on Tuesday. Bayern are on a record run of 10 consecutive.... Full story

Messi, Ribery and Ronaldo shortlisted for Ballon d̢۪Or

Lionel Messi, Franck Ribery and Cristiano Ronaldo were on Monday shortlisted for this year̢۪s Ballon d̢۪Or, football̢۪s world governing body FIFA and sponsors France Football magazine said. Barcelona forward Messi has already won... Full story

Sharapova happy with ‘baby step’ return

Maria Sharapova described her comeback after a four-month injury absence as a ‘baby step’ forward in her recovery. The four-time major winner took on 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic in an exhibition match in Bogota as she... Full story
  • Online Poll


    Do you think that the government has successfully brought back normalcy in public life after the January 5 elections?

    • Yes
    • No
    • No comment
    Ajax Loader