Reducing disparity between urban and rural schools
Advancement of a nation can happen through its development and development is not possible without education. Education is the yardstick of development. To make a country prosperous, schools play an integral role from the very root level. But the disparity between urban and rural school, hinders true development and educational progress. Compared to urban schools, rural schools are performing poorly. It is true that educational facilities and infrastructure of urban schools are better than those of rural areas. In addition, sufficient number of teachers, conscious guardians, and information technology play a great role for the betterment of urban schools.
On the other hand, shortage of skilled teachers attending too many students, lack of awareness among guardians, dropouts, lack of information technology and good direction, inattentiveness of students are problems in rural areas that increase the urban-rural school disparity.
To ensure a better future for rural students, the disparity must be removed urgently. The following steps can be adopted for improving the standard of the rural schools:
1. Adequate number of teachers should be employed in every school and proper training must be provided to them.
2. Meetings can be arranged every month between teachers and guardians for raising awareness.
3. Reading buddy system can be introduced. In this case, each partnership should be between a good student and a less attentive student. Competition may be held every week to select best buddy pair.
4. Class attendance should be emphasised in order to reduce dropout.
5. Relationship between teachers and students should be amicable.
6. Financial and non financial motivations such as prizes, recognitions etc. should be given to teachers and students to reward their good performances.
7. The facilities of information technology should be provided to rural school students.
8. Extracurricular activities should also be given their due importance.
The government is trying to reduce the disparity and improve the quality of education. People should come forward to remove this disparity in order to build a well-educated nation. We should keep in mind that education is a universal birthright of every child.
comments powered by Disqus