‘BCB election by October first week’Staff Correspondent
The Bangladesh Cricket Board plans to hold its long overdue election by the first week of October, BCB president Nazmul Hasan said on Monday.
The BCB has yet to disburse the letters for the interested councillors even though a court ruling on July 25 paved way for the election.
Nazmul and his ad-hoc committee members were entrusted with the responsibility to hold the
election within 90 days of taking over from the elected board on November 26 last year.
‘We wanted to hold the election within this
month, but if that is not possible we will hold it by early October,’ said Nazmul.
‘We have to talk with the National Sports Council to determine the amount of time it will take to hold the election, but I am confident that it won’t take more time than that.’
Nazmul added that the BCB is trying to
work on every possible issue that can be challenged in order to hold an
election and said that was the reason for the delay in asking for the councillorship.
‘There are some legal issues that we are going through, because unless everything is covered there is a chance that [the opposition] might go to the court, and that will disrupt the election,’ he said.
‘We want that the election should be done in a proper manner, whoever wins or loses, and that is our main objective.’
Former BCB president Saber Hossain Chowdhury has already announced that he will contest in the election, throwing an open challenge to the incumbent, Nazmul.
The two lawmakers from the ruling political party are engaged in a war of words, with each alleging that the other has vested interests.
Saber earlier invited Nazmul to an open
debate, which the BCB incumbent said he is keen to accept.
‘I am open to any debate in front of the media with Saber Bhai,’ said Nazmul. ‘Four days back I met Saber Bhai at the airport, where I accepted his challenge. As far as I know, I have not been called by any TV channel to sit one-on-one with him.’
‘But I am ready for it, provided it is recorded,’ he added.
comments powered by Disqus
The Bangladesh Cricket Board plans to hold its long overdue election by the first week of October, BCB president Nazmul Hasan said on Monday. The BCB has yet to disburse the letters for the interested councillors even though a court ruling on July 25 paved way... Full story
The poor performance of the Bangladesh national team against Nepal in their opening game of the 10th SAFF Championship on Saturday prompted many near the team to raise questions about the attitude of the footballers. Most of the members of the national side... Full story
The familiarity between the opposing camps in today’s SAFF Championship match between Bangladesh and India will extend beyond the teams on the field, as the coaching match-up pits a student against his teacher. Bangladesh coach Lodewijk... Full story
The prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, will lay the foundation stone of the Sheikh Kamal International Cricket Stadium and Cricket Complex in Cox’s Bazar today, according to Bangladesh Cricket Board officials. The complex will be built around the under-construction cricket stadium, which will be used for next year’s ICC... Full story
Serena Williams easily won her eagerly-awaited clash with Sloane Stephens at the U.S. Open on Sunday as normal service resumed at the last grand slam of year. Williams was one of four U.S. Open champions that won on Sunday, sending a clear message to the next generation of rising stars that they will have to wait their turn. Full story
A three-day practice match between Bangladesh Cricket Board Green and Red teams begins today at Khulna’s Sheikh Abu Naser Stadium. Mushfiqur Rahim’s BCB Green will take on BCB Red, captained by Mahmudullah, as a part of the national cricket team’s preparation for the upcoming home series against New Zealand in October. Full story
Sachin Tendulkar will play his 200th Test match at home against the West Indies later this year. BCCI interim secretary Sanjay Patel confirmed on Sunday that the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has agreed to tour India in November during which they are likely to play at least two Tests and five ODIs, reports Times of India... Full story
India will play five Tests in England for the first time since 1959 during next year’s tour, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced Monday. The tour schedule also sees 50-over world champions India, who beat England by five runs in the Champions Trophy... Full story
Cyclists Iftekhar Alam Rifat and Azizur Rahman departed for Korea on Monday to participate in a seven-week training programme after receiving invitation from the Korean Cycling Federation. The 2nd edition of the training programme, titled World Cycling Center Korea Satellite 2013, will be held from... Full story
New Zealand Cricket on Monday announced a shortened schedule for its home series against India after reports that the visitors wanted to keep the tour as brief as possible. NZC said India would play two Tests and five one-dayers against the Black Caps between January 19 and February... Full story
A first-half hat-trick by Lionel Messi ensured Barcelona maintained their 100% start to the La Liga season with a thrilling 3-2 win over Valencia as Real Madrid also made it three wins from three games on Sunday. Messi had looked far from his best in Barca’s Super Cup victory over Atletico Madrid in midweek, but looked more... Full story
Gareth Bale hailed his move to Real Madrid as a ‘dream come true’ as he was officially unveiled in front of 20,000 fans at the Santiago Bernabeu on Monday. Bale’s prolonged transfer from Tottenham Hotspur was finally completed on Sunday evening with reports in England suggesting the Welshman... Full story
Now that Real Madrid has nabbed Gareth Bale for an unconfirmed world record fee, recession-hit Spain wants to see if the 24-year-old earns his money on the field. The towering price risks sowing discord in the Real Madrid dressing room, and there is no guarantee Bale will live up... Full story
Kaka completes Milan return Brazilian attacking midfielder Kaka agreed his return to AC Milan on Monday after four unhappy years at Real Madrid, which saw him go from one of the world’s top players to an unhappy, injury-prone reserve, report Reuters The 30-year-old’s dramatic loss of form has... Full story
Stoke move for bad boy Arnautovic Controversial Austrian forward Marko Arnautovic has joined Stoke City from Werder Bremen on a four-year contract, the Premier League club announced on Monday. The 24-year-old Austria international is new manager Mark Hughes’s fourth close-season... Full story
Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored his first two goals for Borussia Dortmund since a 27.5 million euro ($36.26 million) move to give them a 2-1 win at Eintracht Frankfurt which maintained their 100 percent record Bundesliga record on Sunday. The Armenian’s goals were both excellently taken as he... Full story
Newly promoted Monaco went top of Ligue 1 after coming from behind to defeat Marseille 2-1 in a thrilling encounter at the Velodrome on Sunday. The home side took the lead on the stroke of half-time when a Mathieu Valbuena corner from the left was headed... Full story
Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal’s 1-0 win over north London rivals Tottenham proves they can thrive without any big-money signings. Wenger has endured a frustrating transfer window marred by his failure to fulfil the Arsenal board’s promise to finally splash the cash after eight years without a trophy. Full story