United ready for £40m Fabregas bidSports Desk
Manchester United hope a third bid amounting to around £40 million will finally be enough to swing the transfer of Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona, and break the Catalan club’s public resistance to a sale, reports Soccernet.
Despite having had two previous offers of £26 million and £30 million rejected, the Old Trafford club still see Fabregas as their No. 1 target - as reported by the Manchester Evening News.
United’s persistence comes from repeated positive contact with Fabregas’ camp, and the understanding that he would be open to a move in the event of Barcelona accepting a bid.
Old Trafford sources have told ESPN that manager David Moyes had been considering his next move – including weighing up the possibility of moving on to one of three alternative options, one of whom is Real Madrid’s Luka Modric - and decided to continue the pursuit of Fabregas.
United have now put together a package believed to be worth around £40 million, comprising a £35 million basic fee plus add-ons. That would not just represent the symbolically high offer that could make acceptance more palatable for Barcelona, it would also ensure the Catalans made a significant profit on the fee they paid to Arsenal in 2011.
With Barca also intent on signing an world class centre-back this summer, United hope the Primera Division champions’ desire to boost the transfer kitty will further leverage the situation their way.
Thus far, though, Barcelona have adopted a hardline view and insisted the player is not for sale. United also retain an interest in Everton’s Marouane Fellaini but it is understood to be seen as separate to the pursuit of an all-round attacking midfielder of Fabregas’ ilk.
comments powered by Disqus
Sakib al Hasan’s Barbados Tridents defeated Tamim Iqbal’s St Lucia Jouks by 17 runs in the curtain-raiser of the inaugural Caribbean Premier League in Bridgetown, Barbados on Wednesday. Pakistani all-rounder Shoaib Malik and West Indian Kieron Pollard guided Barbados to the victory over St Lucia with... Full story
Bangladesh national football team lost 2-1 to Osotspa Saraburi in the first practice match of their Thailand tour at the Saraburi Central Stadium on Wednesday. Osotspa Saraburi forward Narong scored both the goals for his team, while substitute striker Shakhawat Hossain Rony reduced... Full story
At least four employees of the Bangladesh Cricket Board are in trouble for their reported connections with officials from the rival committee, officials said on Wednesday. Assistant accounts manager Syed Abul Kashem, indoor and gymnasium in-charge Abdul Majid, canteen cook Yusuf... Full story
The Hockey Players Welfare Association demanded the withdrawal of bans on its president Russell Khan Bappi and general secretary Ariful Haque Prince but apologised for any misunderstanding they had with national coach Naveed Alam. The Bangladesh Hockey Federation on Tuesday handed a life... Full story
Australia are pondering whether to recall controversial batsman David Warner for their must-win third Ashes Test against England at Old Trafford starting today. Top-order batting has long been Australia’s Achilles heel and so it proved in a crushing 347-run second Test... Full story
The government has approved the renovation of the dilapidated Khulna Stadium, allocating Tk.11,14,16,000 for the project. This approval came in an Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) meeting on Tuesday, which Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired. Full story
Grandmaster Ziaur Rahman of Dhaka Mohammedan SC emerged champion in the Bishal Trade & Rupahali Sarees International Rating Chess with one match to spare, securing full 8 points after the 8th round matches at the Bangladesh Chess Federation hall room Wednesday. Full story
Barcelona’s new signing Neymar was denied a win on his debut when the Brazil forward came on as a second-half substitute in a 2-2 draw in a friendly at Polish side Lechia Gdansk on Tuesday. The standout performer in his nation’s triumph at last month’s Confederations Cup, Neymar joined up with his new... Full story
Gareth Bale reported for training with Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday, amid mounting rumours about a lucrative move to Real Madrid in a possible world record transfer deal. The 24-year-old Wales winger, voted player of the year and young player of the year last season by his English Premier League peers, was... Full story
Manchester United hope a third bid amounting to around £40 million will finally be enough to swing the transfer of Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona, and break the Catalan club’s public resistance to a sale, reports Soccernet. Despite having had two previous offers of £26 million and £30 million rejected, the Old... Full story
Former Senegal coach Bruno Metsu once told his players they were playing the match of their lives as he sought to motivate them, but now the 59-year-old cancer sufferer knows exactly what that feels like. When he led unfancied Senegal on their World Cup debut during the opening match against... Full story
Former England soccer captain David Beckham will release a picture book in October featuring images from his playing career in a deal with a UK publishing unit of French media company Lagardere. The ex-Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder, who retired from football in May... Full story
Valencia target Torres to replace Soldado Fernando Torres could be heading back to La Liga with reports suggesting Valencia will attempt to replace Roberto Soldado with the Chelsea striker, reports Soccernet. Soldado is nearing a switch to Tottenham in a £26 million deal, and with the role... Full story
‘City owners using club as vehicle’ Manchester City’s owners have been accused of using the club as a public relations vehicle to show Abu Dhabi as ‘a progressive, dynamic Gulf state, which deflects attention from what is really going on in the country’, reports Soccernet. Human Rights Watch, speaking after mass arrests and reports... Full story
All-rounder Shahid Afridi Thursday urged Pakistan to savour their one-day and Twenty20 wins over the West Indies and forget allegations of fixing. Pakistan beat the West Indies 3-1 in the five-match one-day series, and clinched both the Twenty20s on the tour which finished on Sunday. Full story
Michael Clarke said on Wednesday that Australia’s current losing streak will not curtail his Test career, as the tourists look to bounce back from two straight defeats in the third Ashes Test. The losses come on the back of a 4-0 series loss in India earlier this year, leaving Australia winless in six... Full story